Tuesday, January 13, 2009

An Interesting Day

So today started out pretty crappy. I slept in, so didn't have time to gel my hair, I could still make it to work on time, but it'd be close. They don't really care if you're a bit late, but I just missed 2 days on account of a flu, so I didn't want to look like I was never there.

Bill lives in a new area in Edmonton that isn't even on the maps yet, so they never sand our roads or even clear them, and it was warm yesterday and snowed a lot. The wet sticky snow. So long story short, my car got stuck. It was pretty bad. I called CAA and was on hold for a long time, so in the meantime I took the shovel out of my trunk, tried digging out the tires for 40 minutes. Even though it was warm out, after 40 minutes of getting right in the snow, it's still freezing. Eventually Bill and Tia came out to help me. Bill had caught my flu so now he's staying home sick. Eventually we managed to push it out and then I reversed it out of there and took the other way out. Just when CAA finally came through, lol.

So I got to work at 10:30, an hour and a half late. Not good. But Zack didn't seem to mind, he's been stuck before. Still, I was feeling like I'd screwed myself over with the job. I keep getting sick. Supposedly when Bill first moved out here he got sick a lot the first year. Maybe a combination of the polution from the refineries and stuff, plus how dry it gets out here. And then being late today. I felt like I wasn't looking good to the higher ups.

But my bug reports are always really detailed, I always finish my test-plans first, etc. And then today Zack gave me 2 special projects just for me. Right now I'm in my own office installing a demo build and creating savegames to show it off, then tomorrow I have a different project to work on. So hopefully that means I'm being vetted and I prove myself with these next few projects!

And as for why I'm writing a blog entry while I'm supposed to be working on a new project... It's installing and when I asked if there was anything I could do in the meantime Zack said "browse the web!"

2 comments:

Craig A. Bailey said...

You're getting sick a lot because of all the oil in the water, dude. Buy bottled water. Also, fewer grilled cheese.

Anonymous said...

SLACKER!