Saturday, November 29, 2008

Wild Edmonton Nights

Well, I've had a few interesting nights.

Thursday after work my cousin wanted to drop by the pub on the main floor cause Diarmid Clarke, a big name in the video game industry and one of Bill's mentors, was retiring. We were only planning on staying for a bit. I met them there and as I walked in I saw Jack, one of my term group's supervisors, and Humon, the project manager of our group, sitting with Bill and Diarmid. This was gunna be a great way to get some face time in with senior staff.

It didn't take me long to realize Diarmid was trashed. He was dispensing all kinds of pointers to a newbie like me all night, and even though he was hammered, it was really helpful stuff. Humon, who was essentially my boss, was pretty tanked and kept saying things like "You can't tell any of the other terms about tonight!" and "You don't think any less of me do you??", lol.

It was really a cool moment. Sitting back having a beer with a bunch of video game designers talking shop, and Diarmid, a legend in the industry.

But the moment passed and eventually everyone was trashed. I only had one beer, so I was fine. Bill was good too, and when the night came to an end (hours later, not the few minutes we were expecting) Humon and Jack were in no condition to drive. So Humon asked me to drive him home, lol. Yes, I loaded my drunk boss into the back of his super expensive car and drove him home, loaded him out and walked him to his door, lol. He was hillarious, and was not looking forward to running into me at the office next week when he'd be sober, lol.

Bill had followed us so I jumped in his car and headed home. The next day I didn't tell any of the other terms what had gone down. The terms training was over so we all moved up to the fifth floor and got set up in a new office with a new project manager, Zack. Went to lunch with some of the other senior staff. Bill and one of the other terms, Nathan, came with us. Taco Del Mar, very good stuff.

After lunch I approached Zack and told him if Marketing needed any screenshots, videocaptures or savegames, I'd be very interested in supplying them since I have a background in photography and video-editing, and think I have an eye for it. He seemed very impressed and passed the message along to Nathan, the lead on the game I'm working on.

6:00 came and it was Friday night, so I headed down to the pub and met up with a bunch of work people. Friday night the pub is FILLED with Bioware people. Nathan and Bill were there with a group of others and I joined them and got pretty drunk. Good people, and we had a great time, some seriously awesome conversation.

Now it's the weekend, and to be honest, I'm bored. I wish I worked today :P

Pic is of Dann, one of the other term testers. I might go to his house warming party this weekend.

2 comments:

Andi said...

Wow.
so what happened to the no social life thing?

Notme2000 said...

The weekend was boring as hell. If I had wet paint, I'd watch it dry.