Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Working From Home

So I’ve been playing some good video games lately at home.

Chad and I bought Left 4 Dead.  I’ve been wanting to get it for a while now, everyone at work plays on their breaks and it looks like a lot of fun.  So I convinced Chad to buy a copy and we been playing that a lot.  Every so often we’ll get the guys from work to join a game.  Nathan and Dann play a decent amount so we’ve had a few games with them.  Chad is coming down to visit sometime in Spring or Summer.  Looking forward to introducing him to the guys I’ve been hanging out with here, I think they’d get along.  Hopefully Olga can come too!

Chad is Audiodoc in the screenshot below.

Also been playing the Resident Evil 5 demo with Chad.  Can’t wait to get that game.  I love coop games.  Had a blast with Gears of War 2 when I first got out here, also with Chad, and L4D has been great, but short.  RE5 will be awesome.

And ALSO picked up Lost Odyssey again, had that one on hiatus for a while.  I’m a bit of a RPG traditionalist so it’s right up my alley.  Don’t get me wrong, I think Mass Effect was clearly a great game, though I haven’t played it myself.  And Dragon Age is a lot of fun, and when it comes out I fully expect everyone I know to pick it up to support Bioware, see my name in the credits, and ENJOY IT, but they ARE NOT RPGS!!!  I hate how these days the definition of RPGs seems to be “anything with story”.  The way games are going, and this is a good thing, EVERYTHING will soon be classified as an RPG.  If Mass Effect is an action RPG then Half-Life 2 was a FPS-RPG.  To me, RPG is turn-based combat, top down view, menu driven games with epic stories.  Like Lost Odyssey.

Next game:  Fear 2.

So Nvidea gave Bioware a pair of their new GeForce 3d Vision glasses to try out.  Dragon Age, even though it was never programmed for it, looks beautiful with it.  Some friends and I saw U2-3D in Imax last year, and this uses the same technology for home.  The glasses cost 200$.  I already have a compatible graphics card, but unfortunately it only works with LCD monitors that have 120hz refresh rate.  Nvidea offers an upgrade kit including the glasses and an amazing 22 inch widescreen 120hz LCD monitor for 600$.  Thinking of picking that up for myself in a few months, once I’ve gotten some more pressing matters out of the way.  I’ve heard Left 4 Dead looks phenomenal in 3d.  Can’t wait!

So ya.  Video games are my life these days.  :)  I have finally started meeting some women, but I’ll save that for another entry.

No comments: