Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Relocation

So I haven't really written about this on here, because I didn't want to jinx it or speak too soon. But about a month ago I decided to look into moving to Edmonton because jobs pay higher out there and I have family out there. It'd be a great way to get out of debt, especially with no distractions or social life. Julie and Jenna gave me the idea.

I called my relatives and my cousin Bill said he has a basement in the new house him and Tia bought going to waste, and that I could stay there for cheap rent. He's out there working for a video game company called Bioware. Any gamers know who they are; they've made some really big games like Star Wars Knights Of The Republic and Mass Effect.

He told me he could even try to hook me up with a job as a term tester!!! 12$ an hour, 40 hours a week, guaranteed overtime to play video games all day!!! Couldn't think of a better scenario to get myself out of debt. So I sent in my resume with a reference letter from my cousin.

It wasn't a sure thing though, far from it. For a month I didn't know if I'd be staying in Winnipeg or moving to Edmonton. But yesterday I got the call. Accepted! I start November 24th! So I move in less than 2 weeks!!!

I'm a tiny bit nervous, but mostly super excited! Gunna be an awesome job, the pay is great, especially with the overtime, going to be living in a new city for the first time in my life, I'll meet new people and try new things... This is going to be awesome.

I will miss my family and friends though. A lot. I think they mean more to me than the average person. I've invested decades with some of my friends and all my family. It's going to be hard not to see them for months at a time. I know I'll probably be back in about 3-4 months, but I've heard this position often leads to permanent employment, and I don't know if I could pass on that opportunity should it come up... So heading out there, I don't know if I'll ever be back.

I'm throwing a 'party' before I leave so I can see everyone together. Going to be Friday at around 11:00 PM at Earls in St. Vital, just like the good ol' days. Everyone reading this is encouraged (and expected) to come!

Sign contracts and send them back to Bioware: Check!
Give 2 weeks notice to Rogers Video: Check!
Tell family and friends: Mostly Check!
Throw going-away party: Check!
Start packing: ...I'll get to it!

So here's to the future!