Wednesday, November 26, 2008

From Work

So every morning when I get to work I have to update the build of the game I'm testing. Essentially I have to download a huge game every morning at the same time everyone else is, so it generally takes about 2 hours. It's quite nice, because I get paid for those 2 hours but there's no way to do any work. So I go down to our amazing lunch rooms on either the 2nd or 5th floor and get myself some free breakfast, generally a croissant and Cinnamon buns, but there's cereal, waffles, toast, eggs and bacon, etc... I catch up on all the video game sites like Kotaku, chat on MSN, check facebook etc... Some days everyone in the office will play games like Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 while we wait for the update. Today I decided to write a blog entry.
Once the update finally finishes I check on a program we have if there's any tasks assigned to me (test this, re-test that, what do you think of this, etc) and then start hunting for bugs. Yesterday I submitted around 10, and today I got my first responses. I even got a few "hey, nice catch!" comments from senior staff on the responses! I play through the game, which is still pretty incomplete but fun none the less, and report any and all bugs I see. I try to submit them with screenshots, video and/or savegame files.

Throughout the day I'm free to head to the lunch room and play some pinball, go for smokes on the really nice smoker's balcony, etc. We get an hour lunch, but I usually only take 20 minutes to half an hour. With a job this easy I don't feel like I need a break.

So ya, work has been going well and I really like it.

Yesterday after work I talked with Kyra almost all night, first on MSN then on the phone. That was nice. I miss her. I miss everyone.

Well, that's taken up 10 minutes. My update is at 32%, I doubt it will be done before my lunch break. Back to facebook I guess!

No comments: