Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Congrats To Nathan & Sharla!

The happy couple!

After moving to Edmonton, I started at BioWare a few days later.  I started with a group of new QA Term Testers.  Nathan was one of them, and we became friends immediately.  He is a great guy and always went out of his way to make me feel welcome in Edmonton.  Times were tough in Edmonton for me with moving costs, rent, bills, etc, on a QA Term’s wage.  He was always willing to help me out, and wouldn’t take no for an answer.  I have countless memories over the years of us listening to each other’s career developments, hanging out for beers on the weekend, meeting up for pho, etc.  And when I moved to Halifax he threw me not one, but two going away parties at his place.  My friendship with him was one of the best things to come from moving to Edmonton and working at BioWare.  A truly great friend.

I had no idea the friendship that would come of it when I first met him that first day at BioWare.  He was aiming to get into sound design, and I remember after a few months he got moved to his own office to work on sound QA.  I have a great memory of staying late after work one day with him and another friend of ours Dann, all sitting on the floor in his office chatting about life.  Amongst other topics, we discussed our love lives.  I was trying to make things with Kyra work long distance, Dann was having troubles with Melissa, and Nathan was talking about his friend setting him up with his younger sister.

That friend’s younger sister was Sharla.  I sometimes marvel at the odds of two of the nicest people I’ve ever met being together.  For the next 2 years they went out, and whenever I hung out with them I was blown away and somewhat envious at their luck in finding each other.

Surprise!

Recently Nathan told me he was planning on proposing to Sharla.  I was so excited and happy for them.  Soon after I saw the above Facebook status.  I hear she was overjoyed.  And while she may have been surprised, I don’t think anyone was surprised by her answer.

I’m extremely happy for these 2, and miss them more than they know.  I know they’re going to have a fantastic life together, and of course wish them all the happiness in the world.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Thanks so much Dale! I'm very moved.

mah gad, man. I'm choking back the man tears over here. I've almost hit my limit for the month and don't want to have to pay overages.

...seriously, thanks so much. I miss you a lot, mein freund! Sharla misses you too. I'll make sure she sees this post.