Sunday, January 31, 2010

The “BioWare Vacation”

So my first contract at BioWare has come to an end.  I’m officially unemployed.  My last day was nice.  The entire PRC team took Dave and I out for lunch (it was his last day too) at Boston Pizza for a 2 hour lunch.  The rest of the day was a lot of handshaking.  I’m re-hirable in 3 months, and I have 3 teams telling me to email them when my 3 months are up.  So I could either end up working on TOR for Zac, PRC for Jason or OTHER PRC for Dieter.  I feel very confident I’ll be back in 3 months.

In the meantime, as I’ve written before, I saved a lot of money, and have never used EI before, so I think I may be able to go the 3 months without getting another job.  I just can’t imagine working some crap job again, not after working at BioWare, doing something I love and am talented at.  On the other hand, sitting on my ass for 3 months like a bum may drive me to get a job anyway.  But so far I’m really liking it.  It feels good to have free time.  I’d been working some crazy overtime, only had 3 days off in the past month, and most nights went until at least 10:00 pm.

Yesterday I went for pho with Dann, then we went for an afternoon beer at Montanna’s and caught a movie.  Legion.  Meh.  Then I came home and played videogames.  It was a good day.

I’m contemplating driving back to Winnipeg for a week at some point during my 3 months off.  But money will be tight, and I was just there, so we’ll see.

No comments: