Saturday, September 5, 2009

Long Weekend!

Spent all day making test-plans which was cool.  I use this program called Test-Plan Manager to make detailed guides on how to test certain elements of different things (certain plots, tools, etc, sometimes even things that aren’t the game itself).  I volunteered to take a few off other people’s hands to work on.

At 4:00 it was Cake Day so we all went down to the lunch room for cake and I socialized with James, Terrance, Nathan, Dave, Jason and even Homan (he’s awesome).  After work I met up with Nathan, Dieter, Mike, James and a new guy at the pub downstairs for drinks.  That was fun.  Afterwards I went over to Nathan’s and played some Turtles In Time Reshelled with him.  It was a major blast of nostalgia, it was one of the first SNES games I owned.

As you may know, I have been pretty stressed out lately.  I don’t want to get into specifics, but many things haven’t gone quite according to plan lately.  Financially things have been getting really tight, and the chances of me getting a fulltime salary position at Bioware any time this year (before my contract runs out and I have to take 3 months off) are becoming painfully clear to be near non-existent.  It doesn’t change the fact that I know this is the industry I will make a career in, but it was a hard pill to swallow, coming to terms with the reality of the economic times and the concept that no amount of hard work can earn something that isn’t available.  When my boss told me all the right people were fighting to get me hired, and that it didn’t change the fact that it was extremely unlikely, it finally sunk in.

This weekend I want to be productive in making things a bit more bearable, so I’m planning on cleaning my room, getting a haircut, doing laundry and then sitting down and making a real budget to live by.  I think I’ll feel a lot better about things once my living area is organized, I feel cleaned up and I have an actual plan.  Might go for a walk with my headphones on and try to get some perspective.  If I can get my current life back to a comfortable place, settling in for the long haul in making this a career won’t be such a daunting task.

No comments: